Oh how Mexican Red Chilaquiles are my absolute favorite! I honestly make them almost every single weekend. If I go out to brunch I find myself looking for them in the menu and similarly when on vacation I will search for them!
Now I will tell you there are many ways to make them. That’s the beauty of recipes. My own mom makes them differently but this recipe is the most common and easy in my opinion!
First things first you’ll want to deep fry your tortillas until they are like tortilla chips. If you don’t want them so crispy then take them out a little sooner but keep in mind the salsa is thick and can moisten the tortilla quickly.
You’ll want to set them aside on a plate with a paper towel to absorb the oil. At the same time you can begin putting your vegetables to boil until soft. Once this occurs you’ll take them either with a large serving spoon or preferably thongs and place them in a blender. Similarly you’ll also want to peel off the tomatoes skin for a smoother consistency.
Add knorr chicken bouillon to the blender and blend until smooth. Afterwards, pour salsa onto a pan and simmer for about 10 minutes. Next pour your tortilla chips onto the pan with salsa, cover and scoop onto a plate right away.
Top your Red Chilaquiles with a generous amount of crumbled queso fresco and media crema. P.s. sour cream is just as good!
Mexican Red Chilaquiles
- 10 Tortillas
- 6 Tomatoes
- 1/4 Onion
- 1-2 Serrano Peppers
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 tbso Knorr Chicken bouillon
- 1 Cup Vegetable oil
- 1 half Queso Fresco
- Cut tortillas into squares or triangles
- Deep fry them until tortilla chip crispy. Place them onto of plate with paper towel to absorb oil and set aside.
- While tortillas are frying, boil tomatoes, onion, garlic clove(s) and serrano peppers.
- After vegetables are soft place then in the blender and blend with the knorr seasoning. Optional Tip: Try to remove tomatotomatoe skin with ththongs for a smoother consistency.
- Pou salsa onto a large pan and let it simmer while stirring occasionally for about 5-10 minutes.
- Throw in tortilla chips, cover completely in salsa and scoop onto plate for serving.
- Ensure all tortilla chips are covered in salsa. Crumble a generous amount of queso fresco on top. Optional sour cream or media crema. Tip: Serve with eggs over easy and or beans.